I went through my CD’s a short while ago and given I’m involved with the IT and Internet industry for a living, I’ve amassed quite a few… hundred, ugh. I think most of us are in the same boat – music, video, data discs and increasing amounts of advertising material nowadays comes on CD and DVD media.
What to do with it all?
CD’s and DVD’s are made from various lacquers and aluminium and sometimes goold; but by far most of their weight is the polycarbonate plastic – yet another plastic made from crude oil.
Landfill isn’t a good option as these things will be around for hundreds of years to come. They don’t break down readily and over time can release Bisphenol A, which has been in the news a lot of recent times due to health implications. Burning CD and DVD media releases toxic fumes.
- Christmas Light Reflectors – We use them as reflectors for Christmas lights outside….the c-7 size bulbs fit thru the opening and then we put the light string on outdoor stakes and line a sidewalk…looks REALLY cool when it is lightly raining…the clear colored bulbs work best, but the opaque ones will do.
- Use as Reflectors – Fasten to a wooden stake by pre-drilling and screwing/nailing it to the wood, shiny side OUT, and use as reflectors along your sidewalk or driveway.
- Candle Display – Use cd’s shiny side up to sit small pillar or votive candles on. The reflection off the cd’s is great for centerpieces on buffet tables, especially during the holidays.
- Sun Catcher – The sun’s rays reflects all sorts of color off of them. Glue 2 CDs together (label sides to one another) To make holes for hanging, use a large enough needle or a nail. Use a pair of pliers to hold onto needle or nail and hold over an open flame to heat, then push through the two discs when hot enough. Run some decorative cord through the hole(s), decorate both sides, but nothing too large or you’ll ruin the effect and the purpose of why you are making.
- Make a clock – buy clockworks at your local craft store, the CD has a readymade hole in the center.
- Wall decorations – I took an old venetian blinds and cut it up and made f petals. The plastic blinds are easy to cut. I painted the petals, five to each cd’s. Then I spray painted the top coat with clear paint. Then lined 5 petal to each cd’s and put a button in the middle. Then laced the outer edges. Four disk are lined up on the wall around my computer. It looks great. Another idea is to make angel wings by cutting the cd in half. Paper tape the cut. It will come apart if you don’t. Take glue and spread other edge of the disk and put glitter on it to hid the tape. It makes a beautiful wings and shiny too.
- Use as coasters.
- Garden helper – Run a string through the hole and hang in yard or from trees to keep birds away from garden.
- Make bowls – Place in oven on low heat over a metal bowl shape, or heat with a blow dryer. When softened, they can be bent (gently). Glue to small plates or seal hole and use for candy dishes, fountain bowls, etc.
Filed Under: Environment