October is breast cancer awareness month. Ask your own doctor if he or she is aware that animal foods and dairy products can increase the levels of hormones as well as pesticides in your bloodstream. If fiber helps to prevent cancer in numerous ways, is your doctor aware that there’s little fiber in animal foods? If you’re studying the risk of cancer, than it is eating low-fiber foods, especially barbequed meat that’s all charred around the sides.
The five foods that may starve cancer cells and keep them from growing new blood vessels that feed the cancer are five foods that may actually starve the cancer cells:
1. Bok choy. This is a Chinese-type celery sold in most supermarkets. If you find organic bok choy all the better. If you can’t get organic boy choy, most supermarkets carry it in the section next to the celery or cabbage in the produce sections. You can eat boy choy raw in a salad, cut up like celery, or stir-fry it with Chinese vegetables and brown rice or whole oat groats, or any other grain or vegetable that is favorable to your body’s needs.
2. Cooked Tomatoes. Tomatoes contain more cancer-fighting properties than raw tomatoes. Both contain the molecule lycopene, but heating the tomato changes its chemical structure and makes the benefits more readily available to your body. According to one study you should eat 2-3 (1/2 cup) servings of cooked tomatoes a week.
3. Flounder. This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low in mercury. Three 6-ounce servings a week is ideal. Also Alaskan wild-caught salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids as are some other fish. Make sure the wild-caught fish you buy is both high in omega-3 fatty acids and low in mercury.
4. Strawberries. The antioxidants in strawberries help fight cancers. You should eat 1 cup a day, including the juice. But remember, since strawberries may be contaminated with pesticides, choose organic strawberries. And don’t eat excess strawberries as they could start affecting your thyroid.
5. Artichokes. Did you know that the hearts of artichokes contain 3 different cancer-fighting molecules? Enjoy ¼ cup of hearts per day.
Filed Under: Health & Fitness